- Position: COVID-19/Mining Network Coordinator
- Term: Temporary (10 months) full-time contract from February 8, 2021 to December 8, 2021
- Organization: MiningWatch Canada, on behalf of a network of allied international organizations
- Location: Ottawa, Toronto, or Montreal area
- Application deadline: December 27, 2020 (Midnight EST)
- Starting date: February 8, 2021 at the latest
- Pay: $50,000
MiningWatch Canada is a founding member of the COVID-19/Mining Nexus Global Allies Monitoring Group. The group was formed in March 2020 in response to urgent situations emerging around the pandemic, in order to understand how the global mining industry and governments are using the pandemic to advance their interests, putting communities and mineworkers at grave risk, as well as undermining community efforts to protect themselves from environmental and human rights abuses of extractivism – and to build sustainable local economies. The group is also intended to provide a space for civil society organizations and local communities to build international support for urgent actions.
The successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating the central committee of the monitoring group, as well as directly coordinating with working regional subgroups in Africa, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America.
- Post-secondary education or relevant work experience in journalism, communications, or social sciences
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Other languages (especially Spanish, French, and Portuguese) an asset
- Must be able to legally work in Canada
- At least two years experience in administration/coordination and communications
- Experience in coalition and network building and organizing
- Experience with issues related to extractive industries (preferably mining)
- Ability to convene/facilitate groups and meetings, especially virtual
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience developing pitches and working with journalists
- Experience developing communications strategies and materials and/or graphic design
TO APPLY: Submit applications by email to:
Kirsten Francescone, Latin America Program Coordinator, MiningWatch Canada: [email protected]
Include the subject line: JOB APPLICATION - COVID-19/Mining Nexus
Interested candidates should submit their CV, accompanied by a cover letter describing how their skills, experience, and interests would contribute to meeting this position’s requirements.
We will confirm receipt of all applications by e-mail. However, we will only follow up with candidates who have been chosen for interviews. Candidates must be available for interviews the second week of January 2021. The interview will be in English and will also include a writing exercise. MiningWatch will provide an accessible interview and employment environment and accommodation if required.
MiningWatch values diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages applications from women, racialized people, Indigenous people, people with marginalized sexual/gender or other identities, and persons living with disabilities.