Do you want to be an integral part of a dynamic and creative coalition working for environmental and social justice in solidarity with Indigenous peoples and mining-affected communities with great opportunities for learning?
Position: Communications Coordinator
Contract period: This is a 4 day work week (32 hours) position for two years, with possibility to renew contingent on funding
Location: Ottawa region
Compensation: We offer a competitive salary of $50,000 per annum plus a generous health benefits package
Expected starting date: September 2021
About the Rôle
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for developing and executing communication strategies and plans in support of MiningWatch’s programs and organizational objectives. The Communications Coordinator will coordinate the development and distribution of the organization’s communication materials. In addition, the Communications Coordinator will support media relations in both traditional and digital media in Canada and internationally. The position is focused on raising visibility of MiningWatch’s issues, amplifying the voices of mining-affected communities, and reaching and engaging a broad public audience to deepen awareness and engagement.
Develop and execute creative and effective communications plans
- Contribute to communications plans for designated actions and campaigns
- Design objectives and develop materials for traditional media and digital marketing channels
Manage the development, distribution and maintenance of communication materials
- Contribute to the development of content, including using storytelling techniques
- Edit and proofread a wide variety of materials including blogs, website text, newsletters, reports
- Produce and coordinate the production of materials, liaising with designers, translators, printing and other service providers as needed
- Coordinate website maintenance and ensure that new and consistent material is posted regularly
Coordinate MiningWatch’s media relations and increase media coverage
- Review media releases and develop key messages, media packages and other materials to support media coverage
- Pitch content to media outlets and coordinate media interviews and appearances
- Develop productive relationships with a wide variety of outlets, journalists and influencers
Plan and implement MiningWatch’s social media strategy
- Produce original digital content, including graphics and visuals, to expand social media presence
- Manage MiningWatch social media feeds to amplify our work and grow our base of supporters and followers
Coordinate the creation and delivery of MiningWatch’s visual brand and messaging
- Ensure consistent brand management throughout all external communications
- Post-secondary education in communications, journalism, or in a related field, and at least 5 years of experience in communications, preferably in the not-for-profit sector in Canada and/or internationally.
- Experience in social justice, environmental, labour, and/or community organizing, activism, and coalition work.
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English and proven experience in developing and editing written communication materials. Fluency in French and/or Spanish is considered an asset.
- Proven experience with media, including pitching stories and coordinating media interviews and appearances.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in social media and digital media.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite or other software for graphic design and video/photo editing is an asset.
- Previous experience working with website and e-newsletter software and advocacy platforms, and organizing public events.
- Commitment to MiningWatch’s vision and mission
- Self-starter and able to work independently, while also able to work collaboratively within a small team setting
- Dynamic communicator who thrives in a fast-paced environment, can meet tight deadlines and balance competing priorities
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resumé as one document to Diana Martin at [email protected] by July 18, 2021. Applications must include “Communications Coordinator - Your name” in the subject line of the e-mail.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be notified. Selected candidates should be available for interviews in late July/early August.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada. MiningWatch will not provide relocation support.
About MiningWatch Canada
MiningWatch Canada is a pan-Canadian initiative supported by environmental, social justice, Indigenous and labour organisations from across the country. The organization works to provide timely support to mining-affected communities and related organizations; do research and analysis of industrial mining and related policies and laws, in Canada and concerning Canadian mining operations abroad; to engage in related campaigns and movement building; and to advocate for greater protections for Indigenous peoples and affected communities, including women and mineworkers, as well as justice and reparations for harms from mining through changes to the policies, laws and economic conditions that perpetuate mining-related abuses and injustice.
MiningWatch is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to build an inclusive and diverse team. We encourage qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds, including those who may need accommodation, to apply to join our team. Please advise if you require accommodation during the recruitment process.