Mining Affected First Nations and Citizens Join Efforts in Urging the Quebec Government to Respect Their Rights
(Quebec) Quebec Coalition Meilleure Mine, Algonquins of Barriere Lake, and citizens from the Malartic Committee are inviting the public & media to attend a Peaceful Solidarity Rally in parallel to the formal opening of the 2016 Quebec Mines Conference organized by the Quebec government on Tuesday morning, Novembre 22 from 9:00am at the Congress Centre in Quebec City (1000 Rue René-Lévesque Est). For the occastion, representatives from the Algonquien Barriere Lake Nation (ABL), community members affected by the Malartic open pit mine (CCZSM), as well as other organizations and citizens present in solidarity will join efforts in urging the Quebec government to include the respect the rights of indigenous peoples and those of mining affected communities in its Social Acceptability Policy of resources development projects. Multiple medias events are planed throughout the day of November 22, 2016, including:
9h00-10h00 -- Solidarity Rally in parallel to the formal openiing of the 2016 Quebec Mines Conference
- Peaceful Solidarity Rally in front of the Quebec City Congress Centre, 1000 René-Lévesque East, just in front of the mining truck (see more details here).
12h00-13h00 – MENR Ministre Pierre Arcand Speech
- Representatives from both the Citizen Committee of Malartic and Algonquins of Barriere Lake will attend the lunch.
13h30-13h50 – Press Conference in the National Legislative Assembly of Quebec (room Bernard Lalonde)
- Press conference with Quebec Solidarity elected member and representatives from both the Citizen Committee of Malartic and Algonquins of Barriere Lake.
14h00-15h00 – « Motion » presented in the National Legislative Assembly of Quebec
- Motion presented in the legislative assembly urging the Quebec government to include the respect of Indigenous poeple's rights and those of mining affected community members into Minister Pierre Arcand's Social Acceptability Policy for resources developments.
For more information on the Algonquins of Barriere Lake struggle, see: http://solidaritelacbarriere.blogspot.com/
- Ugo Lapointe (Fr & En), Coalition Québec meilleure mine & MiningWatch Canada, 514-708-0134
- M. Guy Morissette (Fr), Comité citoyens zone sud de la voie ferrée de Malartic, 819-757-4581
- Mme Priscille Trudel (Fr), Comité citoyens zone sud de la voie ferrée de Malartic, 819-354-3567
- Michel Thusky (Fr & En), Nation Algonquienne du Lac Barrière, 819-215-0591
- Norman Matchewan (En), Nation Algonquienne du Lac Barrière, 819-441-8006