Following the alarming findings from the Commissioner on Environment and Sustainable Development released on April 2, 2019, MiningWatch Canada urges the federal Environment Minister to take immediate actions to beef up inspections and enforcement of the Fisheries Act to protect waters and fish from the 255 active mine sites, as well as from the thousands exploration sites and abandoned sites across the country.
This primer highlights:
- scope of the Commissioner's audit (what's in, what's not);
- key findings from the Commissioner;
- limitations of current regulated pollutant limits;
- known effects to fish & fish habitat;
- enforcement gaps;
- some recent cases of mine water pollution in Canada.
For more information:
Ugo Lapointe, Canada Program Coordinator, MiningWatch Canada, [email protected], (514) 708-0134